Monday, January 16, 2012

Shrimp Puffs

If you read this blog regularly (thanks!), you know that I love appetizers.  I can put on my best Martha Stewart and stuff tiny potatoes with goat cheese topped with caviar.  Elegant, no?  And I am a fan of the retro nibbles that our parents grew up with.  Rumaki, anyone?

But I'm always eager to return to my suburban Texas roots and fix up a batch of white trash nibbles.  You know the ones...they involve Velveeta.  Canned biscuits.  Stuff I don't eat on a regular basis. It requires jettisoning Martha and Julia for Rachael and Guy.  (I know...I'm sorry.)

These little bundles were HUGE hits at a party we had last weekend. Try them and you'll see why...

(By the way, I skipped the dill and added a few generous dashes of Lousiana hot sauce.)

Shrimp Puffs
Makes 20 puffs.
From Guy Fieri and Food Network Magazine.

Cooking spray, for coating the muffin tin

1 7 1/2-ounce can refrigerator biscuits
1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
1 scallion, white part and some green, chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 pound baby shrimp, cooked and peeled
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh dill

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a miniature-muffin tin with cooking spray.

Split each biscuit in half and place each half in a muffin cup, pressing it into the bottom and up the sides.

In a medium-size bowl, mix the cheese, scallion, mayonnaise, shrimp and dill. Place 1 tablespoon of the shrimp mixture on top of each biscuit. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the puffs are golden and bubbling.

No comments: