Monday, December 19, 2011

Gift Ideas: Great Cookbooks

OK...so I am a little late in posting this, but I'm betting with the magic of Amazon.com and overnight shipping, you could still manage to have some of these in stockings and under the tree.  Some I have and some I don't...but have added to my wish list.

Ad Hoc at Home by Thomas Keller
You won't be making French Laundry recipes out of this one...thank goodness. But there's lots of tips and delicious recipes, included poached salmon, creamed summer corn and buttermilk biscuits.

Think Like a Chef by Tom Colicchio
I want this one for sure.  I am a big fan of Colicchio--both from Top Chef--and his restaurants.  His philosophy of cooking seasonal local ingredients with exacting technique is here on the page for the rest of us to learn.

Bill Neal's Southern Cooking
I'm a fan of the Lee Brothers and have several of their cookbooks. But I want this one also....especially since it includes recipes for Hoppin' John and Natchitoches Meat Pies.

How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman
I hate to say it, but I find Bittman's tv show painful.  But I have loved his New York Times columns and love this cookbook also.  Lots to experiment with here....not just American classics like mac and cheese and pot roast, but also forays into Italian, Asian and French cooking.

Martha Stewart's Cooking School
I have reviewed this one before, but it bears repeating.  This tome is a must in every kitchen...not only is it perfect for the new cook, but also an encyclopedia for those of us who think we know what we're doing, but need a refresher every now and then.

No comments: