Thursday, December 08, 2011

Cracker Pairing. Yes....Cracker Pairing.

I'm weird.  I'll admit it.  But I think some things go better with things than others. Yes, I am a big fan of proper wine pairings. Guru Andrea Immer Robinson has taught me that Chardonnay is good with corn and toasted things.  That a funky Pinot Noir goes with cheese or mushrooms.  And that bubbly is good with about anything.

But I look at other pairings as well.  I swear that certain soft drinks taste better with certain kinds of ice and cups.  But I digress....

Another pairing I thought about recently involves crackers.  We all buy lots of crackers over the holiday season.  And we pair them with cheese or a variety of spreads and dips.  And I've realized that I prefer certain crackers with certain things.  Not sure I can explain why, but try them and see what you think. 
  • I think that traditional spinach dip (the one you find on the back of Knorr soup mix) goes best with Triscuits.
  • For my shrimp dip, I buy traditional Townhouse oval wheat crackers.
  • And for our family tradition Kajun Krab Dip.  (Yes, with "k" and in a plastic tub.), nothing works better than good ol' Wheat Thins.
But while we're on the subject...here are some other crackers as suggested by the Rachael Ray magazine folks.  I haven't tried them all, but am intrigued by several.
  • Milton's Everything Multi-Grain Crackers:  They say these are great all-occasion crackers; inspired by the everything bagel, they're buttery and coated with five different seeds.
  • Triscuit Cracked Pepper and Olive Oil Crackers:  I have not been a fan of these when I've had them before, but I am interested in the idea that they would be great next to a cheese plate.
  • Sensible Portions Pita Bites, Black Olive Feta:  These are dippers, ready for scooping up hummus.
  • Koyo Organic Brown Rice Chips, Tamari: Apparently these crispy little things are delicious all on their own.
  • American Vintage Wine Biscuits with White Wine, Shallot and Cayenne: The tasters compared them to cookies.  Sounds like they would be perfect alongside a cocktail or glass of vino.

No comments: