Monday, October 17, 2011

Pear-Chile Salsa

When I found it in a Central Market Hatch chile cookbook, I set this recipe aside to try a month or so ago when I was gifted with a bag of end-of-season New Mexico chiles, figuring it was a good way to use them raw rather than roasted.  You have no excuse to save it until next year's Hatch chile season though.  As I mentioned yesterday, pears are in high season, so it's a perfect time to mix up a batch.

Not sure exactly how I'll use it, but it strikes me as an excellent candidate for roast pork, taco garnish, or cracker and cream cheese topper.

Pear-Chile Salsa
Makes about 5 pints.

1/4 cup white vinegar
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon garlic pepper
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon cumin
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
3 cups chopped chiles (chop by hand for a chunky salsa or in the processor as I did for a saucy salsa)
1 medium red onion, minced
1 tablespoon ground ginger
2 red bell peppers, chopped
1 orange bell pepper, chopped
8 cups pears, coarsely chopped (again...I cheated and used the Cuisinart)

Combine all ingredients in a large stockpot.

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes.

Ladle hot salsa into clean canning jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.  Process in a hot water canner for 15 minutes.

No comments: