Monday, October 23, 2006

Planning...and Shopping for... Your Party Menu

So, it's time for me to hit the grocery store(s) for this week's party. One thing I've learned: a successful party takes creativity, yes, but also a heck of a lot of organization. Nothing crazy or out of reach for most of us...just a little time to sit down, map things out, and make a check list or two.

I really started seriously planning the menu for this one about three weeks ago. Went through my folder of appetizer recipes that I clip out of magazines and the newspaper. Made a stack of potential candidates and then narrowed it down to the winners. Having a variety of foods is key. I always try a few new things, but also trot out some old warhorses that I know will impress. A few canapes like I talked about a couple days ago. A hot dip or two. A couple of cold dips. And some easy "fillers" I'll explain later this week. (You can't go wrong with a cheese board!)

So, then it's planning time. I sit down and rewrite every ingredient of every recipe onto my handy legal pad. Then, go through and transfer those ingredients onto a grocery list. For example, several recipes may call for mayo or sour cream. I go through the recipes and add up how much I'll need and put that total on the list. I try and group things by area of the store--all the veggies in one section, dairy products in another. Makes it much easier as I'm pushing the cart through the store. If I'm feeling particularly organized (or thrifty), I'll even go through the grocery ads and come up with lists for each store where things are on sale. (And, word to the wise, even after you've shopped, it never hurts to go BACK over the recipes soon after you get home. Invariably, I've forgotten something that I have to add to a "last-minute" list.)

You also need to come up with timelines of when to fix what. If something can be made a couple days ahead, I do it. Like spiced nuts or some of the dips. Even some of the "hot" appetizers can be prepared and then refrigerated until they go into the oven at party time. So, for several nights before the party, I'll spend an hour or so and knock a couple of things off the list. Makes the day of the big event much easier. From experience, I know that on Saturday I will never get as much done as I think I can...

Yes, a wonderful party takes creativity. It also takes some organization. (Get both sides of that brain working!) So, make those lists and get cooking. A successful event is the final result.

No comments: