Saturday, October 21, 2006

North Carolina Barbecue

I always believe the old "when in Rome" philosophy. You simply can't travel across the country (or around the world) and miss out on the chance to sample some of the local fare. I've never made it to the Far East, but have my favorite Chinese food restaurants in the Chinatowns of New York and San Francisco. (Nothing like the bland take-out most of us are forced to have at home) The best Indian food I've ever had was in Oxford, England. (India WAS of course a part of the British Empire don't you know.) And fish is always better when your table looks out the window at the ocean from which it was caught. Like the stone crab I had recently in Miami. So, while I'm here in North Carolina, I had to sample the barbecue.

Of course, depending on where you are in these United States, barbecue means very different things. Here in my home state of Texas, it's heavily-smoked brisket and ribs, with heavy tomato-based sauces slathered on top. In North Carolina, it means pork. Whole hogs (or just the pork shoulder) are slow-cooked and then "pulled" into tender strings and chunks. It's melt in your mouth moist and the smoke flavor is sweeter and less prevalent. The sauce is more vinegar-based and not nearly as thick...almost a cole slaw dressing here in Texas. Another option is a spicy mustard-based sauce. Wonderful sides of beans (again not as brown-sugary sweet as what I'm used to) and corn and spicy cornbread rounded out the meal. And, of course, sweet tea. In North Carolina, that's the standard. If you want it without sugar, better ask for it that way; otherwise, your tastebuds are in for a surprise.

The regional meal that we were treated to in Asheville was from a place called 12 Bones. It was on a list of several that I had found named "best" in the city; I had done my research on several others and had the rest of my list ready. We simply ran out of time; the barbecue marathon and comparison will have to wait for another trip. Stay tuned for that.

So, when you're traveling, get out there and sample the local cuisine. Where are you? What is the area known for? Who fixes it the best? Skip the chain restaurants and find the family-owned "dives." No trips planned soon? Then, explore your own hometown and its cultural diversity. Hit a taco stand. Have dim sum in any Asian-American neighborhoods that might be around. Whatever the destination, take a taste trip. You won't regret the adventure.

No comments: