Sunday, October 01, 2006

Because What the World REALLY Needs Is Another Blog

OK...probably not. But I'm starting one anyway. Why, you ask? Frankly, I'm not sure yet.

I was recently "restructured," downsized," whatever you want to call it from a job in an arts/education institution after 16 years. Certainly makes one think. So, after thinking (and griping and feeling worthless and worrying about how the bills would be paid), I started to wonder what my next adventure could be. As I kept saying cheekily, "What do I want to be when I grow up?" And the possibilities have been exciting. I wouldn't recommend getting laid off to anyone...and yet...if it happens and then you let the process take its course, it frees you to see many of the things out there that you somehow missed out on while you were toiling away with blinders on. Including, perhaps most importantly, things about yourself that you never really paid attention to.

So, as I envisioned what my new chapter would be, interesting things began happening. I realized that I spent much of my newly found free time looking at food and wine magazines, making grocery lists and creating great meals. When I was out on the town with a friend the other night, she pointed out that two people (the girl at the wine bar and the owner of the fabulous Thai restaurant) said to me, "You must be a good cook." All based on off-hand comments I made about wine and food that were overheard and interesting enough to prompt a response. A job counselor mentioned (in front of the entire class of fellow layoffees) that I should have my own TV show. Well...not quite ready for that one yet.

So, what then is this? I don't know yet. For now, it's an opportunity to write things down (and hopefully share with someone out there in cyberspace) about how life can be both beautiful and simple. Ways to (easily) have a meal or a party or a cocktail that makes a memory. Ways to (easily) create an environment for yourself and those around you that relaxes you and grabs one or more of your senses in some way. One of the "exercises" that has been a part of this job transition process for me was a career survey that asked me to write down some of my accomplishments--with the instructions that at least two of the six should be personal, rather than job-related. I ended up writing down "My Life" for one of them. By that, I meant the time spent at home and in the backyard. With my family and friends. I'm proud of the little world I've created. And, as so many of the people around me know, I try and share it as much as I can.

So, that's what I'm going to try and do. Tell you about how I've done it. How life can be simply beautiful. I hope you'll be inspired enough to take some of what I've done and make it your own.

No comments: