Friday, October 20, 2006

Assembly Line Hors D'oeuvres

So, I'm figuring out the buffet menu for the Halloween party next week. I always like to mix things up and include nibbles like olives and nuts, something heartier like sandwiches and Buffalo chicken wings, and of course, a dip or two. I "glam" things up a bit too with three or four "gourmet" canapes. They're always a hit and can make a party feel even more elegant. I don't have time to spend hours on them though, so I've developed an assembly line mentality--using as many quality store-bought shortcuts as I can.

To me, a canape can be three simple things. A base. Something creamy. And a "main" ingredient (or just garnish) on top to round it out.

What can be a base? Well, obviously, a cracker. Something as simple as a Triscuit or rice cracker. Or something like a cheese straw that you make by hand. Wonton or phyllo cups (you can find both pre-made a lot of the time) can hold ingredients you've diced up into tiny pieces. Tuna tartare maybe. Or a mayo-free chicken salad. The base can also be a vegetable. A slice of cucumber or jicama. A hollowed-out new potato or cherry tomato. Or even an endive leaf.

Then, you add something creamy. It can be a main ingredient in a vegetarian canape...like herbed goat cheese. Or it can be the "glue" that anchors meat, poultry, or seafood to the base. Flavored sour cream or mayonnaise. Something like that.

Finally, there's the "top." A piece of tenderloin beef. Seared tuna. Simply prepared shrimp. Let your imagination run wild. And if you're letting the creamy ingredient take center stage, just add a tiny bit of colorful garnish. Maybe roasted red pepper or a bit of fresh herb.

So, using this formula, I've come up with four I'm going to fix for next Saturday night. I like to serve a variety of meat, seafood and vegetarian appetizers, so I've tried to run the gamut of flavors and ingredients.

First up is a thin slice of toasted baguette with a little horeseradish sour cream and a thin sliver of beef. (I cheat and buy several pieces of the Honey Flank Steak from Central Market and cut it in tiny bite-size bits. I always ask for the rarest slices. They're the most tender and add some great color too.)

I'm also going to do a wonton cup that I'll fill with a slice of seared tuna (also available pre-made in the gourmet deli case if you're short on time) and a dab of wasabi mayonnaise. (It's simple. A spoonful or two of mayo with a tiny bit of prepared wasabi from a tube or dried wasabi powder mixed in. Adds a great spicy kick. And the wasabi is great to have on hand to mix in with mashed potatoes.)

For the vegetarians, an endive leaf onto which I'll pipe a dollop of herbed cheese. Could make it by hand by mixing fresh or dried herbs and a little lemon juice into some soft goat cheese, but I think I am going to take the easy route and pipe on some Alouette, a quality soft cheese that comes in little tubs in a variety of flavors. You can get in in the deli section of most major supermarkets. To add a little color and texture, I'll top it off with either a sliver of sun-dried tomato or a sprig of fresh dill.

Finally, a twist on traditionally prepared smoked salmon. On a thin slice of cucumber (I usually leave the peel on. It's a nice color contrast and makes things a bit sturdier.), I'll add a little cream cheese and then a piece of smoked salmon. It's always a hit.

There are others I've done before that I justwon't have room for this time. A new potato with sour cream and domestic caviar. A rice cracker with wasabi cream cheese and a tiny cooked shrimp. Or Caprese salad on a tiny toast--mozzarella, tomato and pesto. Delicious.

So, use this three-step formula to create your own gourmet goodies. You might even map it out on a piece of paper with three columns with base, creamy ingredent, and topping as headings. Brainstorm individual ingredients in each column and then put them together in both traditional and adventurous combinations. You'll be surprised at what you come up with. And you'll definitely impress your guests with your elegant nibbles.

No comments: