Saturday, September 11, 2010

Steamed Clams and Corn

I'd been eyeing this recipe for a while. I ripped it out of Martha Stewart Living and kept thinking that it would be a great inland substitute for a seaside clambake. Finally fixed it over the Labor Day weekend. I was right...with a glass (or two) of crisp Sauvignon Blanc, I felt like I was on the beach on Cape Cod.

But there was another pleasant surprise. It had never crossed my mind that throwing a few slices of jalapeño pepper in the pot would infuse everything with such flavor. A subtle, but delicious little spicy kick in the clams and corn alike. I am ready to use the technique in other ways. Definitely will cook corn on the cob with a little jalapeño from now on. And maybe white rice also. Hmmm...what about when poaching chicken for chicken salad? The possibilities just might be endless.

I also LOVED eating the little coins of corn on the cob. Much easier on my 42-year-old teeth than chomping on the whole cob.

Anyway...back to the recipe.

Steamed Clams and Corn
From Martha Stewart Living.
Makes two servings.

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 sliced shallot
1 sliced jalapeño pepper
1/4 cup dry white wine
12 small littleneck clams
2 ears of corn, sliced crosswise into 1/2 inch coins
Cilantro or scallions for garnish

In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add shallot and jalapeño and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in white wine and bring to a simmer. Add clams and corn. Cover and cook until clams open, about 7 minutes. (Discard any clams that don't open.)

Serve in bowls with cilantro or scallions as garnish and crusty bread to sop up the juices.

No comments: