Thursday, September 23, 2010

Southern Food and Wine Pairings

I'm a native Texan born and bred, and I celebrate my Texan/Southern heritage in the kitchen quite regularly. I also drink wine almost every evening with dinner. Sometimes it's a challenge to figure out which wines to serve with Southern favorites. How exciting to find this pairing guide in September's Food & Wine! And it makes sense too. Here's what they had to say...the notes are mine.

With FRIED CHICKEN, VIOGNIER.
I like this idea. You want something full-bodies enough to stand up to the crust, but with a delicacy that lets the sweetness of the juicy chicken shine. Floral Viognier would be just the ticket.

With PULLED PORK, ZINFANDEL.
Makes sense to me. I always reach for a spicy Zin whenn we have BBQ, so this is a natural.

With SHRIMP GUMBO, ROSÉ.
Yum. The crisp acidity of the wine would cut through the spice and stand up to this bold dish without overpowering.

With HOPPIN' JOHN, SANGIOVESE.
I trust my favorite cooking magazine on this one, but am a little suspicious. Sure the peppery earthy quality of the wine would support the flavors in this black-eyed pea and rice casserole, but I'd want to make sure it didn't overwhelm what is really a simple peasant dish.

And, finally, with BURGOO, SYRAH.
Right on. This stew/chili needs an assrtive wine to take it to the next level. Syrah is just the thing.

There are others out there I've used as well...Chardonnay with shrimp and grits for example. What about you?

No comments: