Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Bengali Blackened Salmon

Salmon continues to grow on me. (Three years ago, I wouldn't touch the stuff.) But recipes like this--full of bold flavors--will keep me coming back for more. I first found it in a book of appetizers; they suggest is serving it as little bite-size pieces garnished with a slice of lime. I'll take a FULL-size serving, thank you...

Bengali Blackened Salmon
Serves two.

1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
1/2 teaspoon garlic pepper
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 (6 ounce) salmon fillets, skinned and boned
Olive oil

Mix all spices and salt together. Rub into both sides of the salmon. Cover and leave at room temperate for 20-30 minutes.

Heat a sauté pan over high heat. Add a little oil and add the salmon. Cook, without disturbing, for two minutes. Turn the fish over, cover and cook for another two minutes. The exterior will be blackened, but the interior will still be about a medium rare.

Food-Wine Pairing: I'd uncork a fruity Pinot Noir for this one. Maybe Sebastiani.

No comments: