Saturday, December 05, 2009

Marinated Cheese

Get ready for lots of party food ideas over the next few weeks. After all, 'tis the season....

Usually, for a party, I put out a cheese board. Three or four varied and delicious cheeses. Recently though, I decided to try something else. It seemed I was always spending a lot of money on something that only a few people nibbled on. And I was left with plenty of cheese to nibble on myself afterwards. Not so great for my diet.

So when I ran across this several-years-old Southern Living recipe in my files, I thought I would give it a try. It was a hit. And, since it's just a couple blocks of cheese and other store-bought ingredients, oh, so simple. This is one you should keep in your memory bank.

(Note: The original recipe calls for cream cheese in addition to the Cheddar and Monterey Jack. I couldn't figure out an easy way to slice it without getting messy, so I have omitted it.)

Marinated Cheese
Makes 25 appetizer servings.

1 (0.7-oz.) envelope Italian dressing mix
1/2 cup vegetable (or olive) oil
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons minced green onion
2 tablespoons water
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 (8-oz.) block Monterey Jack cheese, chilled
1 (8-oz.) block Cheddar cheese, chilled
1 (4-oz.) jar chopped pimiento, drained
Assorted crackers

Whisk together first 6 ingredients. Set aside.

Cut Monterey Jack cheese in half lengthwise. Cut each half crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Repeat with Cheddar cheese.

Arrange cheese in 4 rows in a shallow 2-qt. baking dish, alternating Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheese. Pour marinade over cheese. Cover and chill at least 8 hours.

When ready to serve, place cheese and marinade on a rimmed platter in rows. Top with pimiento, and serve with assorted crackers or toothpicks.

No comments: