Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Gadgets

I am amazed (and I guess flattered) when people seem in awe of the things that I whip up for dinner on a regular basis. Fact is it's not that difficult. The old "practice makes perfect" adage is a true one. AND...I have an arsenal of hints and gadgets like these that I lean on. Here are just a few of the thingamajigs and whatchamacallits that make my life in the kitchen oh-so-much simpler.

The Garlic Zoom....
My knife skills are less than stellar. And I certainly don't do a great job when it comes to mincing garlic. But rather than succumb to temptation and rely on pre-minced garlic in a jar, I grab this handy gadget and roll/chop away. I'm done in a flash. No stinky hands either.

The Corn Zipper...
I used to always make a mess when slicing corn off the cob. Half of it invariably ended up on the floor. This has made things a lot easier. (Another hint I ran across recently. Put the ear of corn you're "shearing" in the center hole of a tube cake pan. It riases the ear up so that you can get to it and the kernels fall right into the pan.)

Digital Meat Thermometer...
I'm sorry this one doesn't have a catchier name, but here's another tool I can't live without. (As a matter of fact, I was really missing it when I pinch-grilled at some friends' the other night. Without this by my side, I overcooked them slightly.) Cooking tip: 135° and five minutes rest will give you beautiful medium-rare every time...

No comments: