Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Back to Basics: Bisquick Coffee Cake

We should all have our "old standbys" in our recipe repertoire. They might not be the fanciest or the healthiest of our dishes, but they are the things that remind us of mom or our own first tries in the kitchen. Here's one of those for me. The coffee cake recipe straight off the Bisquick box. I don't fix it often, but when I do, I'm back with an old and faithful friend.

Bisquick Coffee Cake
Makes 8 servings.

2 cups Bisquick
2/3 cup milk or water
2 tablespoons sugar
1 egg
Streusel topping*

Combine all ingredients, except streusel topping, and beat for 30 seconds. Spread in greased 9 inch round pan. Sprinkle with streusel and bake at 350deg for 18 to 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

*Streusel topping: Mix 1/3 cup Bisquick, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 2 tablespoons butter until crumbly. (Sometimes I add a couple tablespoons of chopped pecans also.)

No comments: