Friday, April 24, 2009

To Organic or Not To Organic?

I certainly try and buy organic produce when I can (or even better buy from local farmers at the market). Sometimes though it can get pricey. I recently ran across a couple of helpful lists. One of the fruits and vegetables that you should definitely buy organic since they are most likely to contain trace levels of pesticides. The other is the group that you can get by buying conventional since they are not likely to contain the toxic chemicals.

Best Produce to Buy Organic

  • Apples

  • Bell Peppers

  • Carrots

  • Celery

  • Cherries

  • Lettuce

  • Nectarines

  • Peaches

  • Potatoes

  • Spinach

  • Strawberries

Safe Conventional Produce to Buy

  • Asparagus

  • Avocados

  • Bananas

  • Broccoli

  • Cabbage

  • Eggplant

  • Kiwifruit

  • Mangoes

  • Onions

  • Pineapples

2 comments:

Eddie G said...

Wow--I'm surprised to see onions on the conventional list! I've always been told root vegetables "need" to be organic. Maybe that only applies to starchy root vegetables?

Thanks for this post :)

Carl M said...

Hmmm... I disagree to a certain extent. I'm with the first commenter: root produce can retain all sorts of nasty stuff. My rule of thumb is anything that isn't a root and is something you peel you are pretty safe. The problem being things like bananas where the pesticides and fertilizers are very harmful and dangerous to the workers.