Monday, April 30, 2007

White Pizza Dip

I was inspired recently when I perused The Appetizer Bible. Lots of interesting recipes: from dips to stuffed canapes to more elegant international nibbles. Here was one that caught my eye. It was delicious with toasted baguette slices. (And even yummier as the base of a pizza--half with chicken and red peppers and half with shrimp and spinach. Just spread the dip on a pizza shell, like Boboli, top with the other precooked ingredients and a sprinkling of mozzarella cheese and bake in a 350 degree oven until the crust is toasty and the cheese is slightly browned.)

White Pizza Dip
Note: The recipe calls for a package of Lipton soup mix, but it made the final product a little too salty for my taste. Next time I make it, I'll just substitute my own favorite spices. Maybe Italian herb seasoning. Or Fresh oregano and basil. Maybe a pinch of red pepper flakes for some kick.

1 envelope Lipton Recipe Secrets Savory Herb with Garlic Soup Mix
1 large container (16 ounces) sour cream
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1/4 cup (1 ounce) chopped pepperoni (optional) (You could also add, as I did, 1/4-1/2 cup of cooked Italian sausage)
1 loaf Italian or French bread, sliced, for serving

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In medium bowl, combine soup mix, sour cream, ricotta cheese, 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, and, if desired pepperoni (and/or sausage). Pour into shallow 1 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese.

Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until heated through. Serve with bread slices. (I liked them toasted best.)

No comments: