Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Whatever Happened to May Day?

May the first is often known as May Day. Today, it seems to be about immigration rights marches and the oh-so-recent memory of Communist shows of power. (Remember the May Day parades through Red Square in Moscow?) I remember something else associated with May 1 from my childhood. May Day baskets.

I have a distinct memory of making construction paper cones with pipe cleaner handles and filling them with flowers and other goodies and taking them to the "ladies of a certain age" in our suburban north Texas neighborhood. Whatever happened to THAT tradition?

Wikipedia does a great job, as usual, of capturing the details of the "holiday." From its origin in pre-Christian cultures as a day signifying the transition from spring to summer (Whoa, Bessie. Not ready for our hundred degree days here in Dallas quite yet!) to the many ways it's celebrated around the world.

Now I'm not suggesting we all rush out and build a May pole. Plus, quite frankly, I'm a little late this year. So let's all agree to celebrate next year. Mark your calendars now. Get your own kids involved. Or nieces and nephews. Or others you borrow from friends or neighbors. Let's make life a little more beautiful by bringing back the May Day basket. Will you join me?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I grew up in a small town in western, N.Y. Westfield
I too have very fond memories of the May Day flower tradition. I remember making baskets out of construction paper and filing them with flowers, and dropping them at peoples houses anf feeling so good about the feel good deed. It really is all about your giving that leads you too a feel good life.
Thank You,
Erica Williams
Elgin, SC

Anonymous said...

Funny, I just googled "What happened to May Day baskets?"

As a child in New England in the 1950's and '60's, we would make up baskets (or one could buy them) and fill them with candy or flowers and put them on neighbors' doorways! I loved the tradition, but it just seems to have died out! So sad! So, SC, I remember this tradition too and think we should all resurrect it!