Friday, March 16, 2012

A Cheesy Saint Patrick's Day....

I posted a delicious stew recipe yesterday that you might try for St. Patrick's Day, but here's an even simpler celebration idea.  How about an Irish cheese board?  Inspired by an ad from a local wine shop here in Dallas, I spent an evening earlier this week nibbling through several great varieties from the Emerald Isle.  I was sipping wine, but you could go even more authentic and quaff some Guinness if you'd like. And of course soda bread is mandatory...
Here were the three I tried:
  • Cahill Porter Cheddar: Surrounded by brown wax, this Cheddar is marbled with Guinness-brewed Irish porter.  It's nutty and almost sweet...I'm thinking a great after-dinner treat.
  • Fivemiletown Creamery Oakwood Smoked Cheddar:  I love me some smoked cheese. Idiazabal from Spain and smoked Mozzarella from our very own Mozzarella Company here in Dallas are regulars in our fridge and table. This one's yummy too.  Aged for 6 months and then smoked over oak, the cheese is bold and nutty.
  • Tipperary Cheddar: The e-mail said this was a popular choice in Irish homes, and I can see why.  It was my favorite of the three.  Made with the wonderful milk of Tipperary, it was the perfect melding of sharpness and creaminess.  Perfect on its own, on a cracker or with a slice of apple, this one is worth looking for...

No comments: