Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Omelet Souffle

We have a Waffle House down the street. Fortunately for my waistline, I manage to avoid it most weekends. I have always wondered at their omelets. Eggs whirred up in a milk shake machine and then cooked in a battered aluminum pan with a viscous gold liquid that can't be good for your arteries. Delicious. They're fluffy goodness.

I've tried to replicate them at home (minus the viscous gold liquid) by whirring the eggs in a blender and/or whisking them until may arms ached. They still...underwhelmed.

Not any more. This is my new recipe. I've asked for a copper bowl for my birthday to whip the egg whites, but, in the meantime, my KitchenAid mixer worked just fine.

Omelet Souffle
From Food & Wine Magazine.

3 large eggs, separated
Pinch of sea salt
1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup shredded Gruyère cheese

Preheat the broiler and position a rack in the center of the oven. In a large bowl, using a whisk or a handheld electric mixer, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.

In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the salt and one-fourth of the beaten egg whites. Fold the yolk mixture into the remaining beaten whites until no streaks remain.

In an 8-inch ovenproof skillet, melt the butter. Scrape the omelet mixture into the skillet and shake gently to evenly distribute the eggs. Sprinkle the cheese all over and transfer the skillet to the oven. Broil the omelet for about 3 minutes, until lightly browned and very puffy. Carefully slide the omelet onto a plate, folding it in half. Serve right away.

(Note: I've gussied things up by adding a few chopped veggies to the saute pan and cooking until tender before adding the egg mixture.)

No comments: