Monday, July 18, 2011

Flowers with Staying Power

I love fresh flowers around the house. But (1) who can afford it and (2) what can handle the wilting heat of Texas summer?

Here are some longlasters that our friend Martha recommends with my own comments. And they're interesting enough that you just need a stem or two.


  • Oncidium orchids: These are the multi-branch variety with the little speckled blooms all over. I love their exoticism.

  • Carnations: A lot of people despise them. I love them...smell and all. And they last for two weeks and more if you change their water every few days.

  • Freesias: Simple and aromatic, they also remind me of Southern ladies. And that's a good thing.

  • Oriental lilies: These are show horses. When entertaining, I buy five or six stems of these and scatter them throughout the house. They are quite dramatic.

  • Dendrobium orchids: Though perhaps a bit less exotic looking than their oncidium cousins, these are beautiful additions to your tablescape, your bathroom counter or your bedside table.
Any suggestions to add to the list? Hit me up in the comments below.

No comments: