Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Tuesday Tips: The Inaugural Edition

Sure recipes are good. And I hope this blog serves as both encyclopedia and inspiration as you hit the kitchen or the bar. But often I find that it's the resources, tips, techniques, and tools that I've accumulated over the years that make the beautiful life we all deserve far easier to accomplish.

So I'm starting a new series. Every Tuesday (until I run out of tips) I'll post several tricks of the trade to make your life a bit simpler.

For this inaugural edition smack dab in the middle of grilling season, I'll share several things for you to take outside along with the barbecue sauce.
  • Don't dirty two platters every time you grill. Cover the platter with foil and put the meat or fish on it when you head grill-side. Then discard the foil. You have a clean carrier for the finished product.
  • If you're a saver shopper, you probably buy pork chops, steaks and the like when they're on sale and then freeze them in meal-size portions. Save yourself a step and put the marinade (your favorite herbs and liquids like wine or soy sauce or fruit juice) in with the meat in the freezer bag. Label it and put in the freezer. Take the package out the night before you want to grill it up and put it in the fridge. It will marinate as it thaws.
  • Burgers make a great meal, and lots of people pre-make patties and freeze them ahead of time. Take it up a flavor step and make your favorite meatloaf mix. Freeze it in patty form and you've got a burger that no one can resist. Or a single serving of meat loaf when you've got a craving.

Come back next week for more...

1 comment:

Rockabilly Hippie said...

thanks for the tips! I love the idea of putting the marinade in before I freeze it. Sometimes I just don't have time and that is perfect!