Thursday, April 29, 2010

Poached Eggs: Theme and Variations

I love me a good poached egg. And Eggs Benedict too. (Although the "traditional" version I usually reserve for a decadent hotel room service breakfast. Preferably on an expense account.) I've mentioned variations I've tried before using only the leftovers I could scrape up.

Here's a few more variations I've run across...
  • First off, no need to "scramble" if you don't have an English muffin. Any good toasted bread will do. Sourdough, whole grain or even rye would make excellent candidates.
  • Then the options for additional toppings are endless. Sliced tomato and cream cheese.
  • Spinach and a little grated Swiss. (Maybe even broiled a bit before the egg goes on.)
  • Cream cheese, salmon and capers.
  • Butter and a thin slice of ham or prosciutto.
  • Steamed asparagus and a shaving of Parmesan.
  • Pesto. (And nothing but pesto.)
  • Ricotta and basil leaves.
  • Roasted garlic and sauteed mushrooms.
  • Or anything else you can come up with. (Be a good egg and share your ideas in the comments below.)

Add that poached egg on top and you won't need the added fat (or hassle) of Hollandaise sauce.

No comments: