Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Storing Celery and Green Onions

OK. I share great recipes with you. Encourage you to keep a pantry and fridge full of healthy ingredients. And I strive to do the same.

But I have, for years, failed at my own game. Let me explain.

Celery is a regular item in my shopping cart. And it goes in the refrigerator to standby for salads, stir-fries, or an easy snack. Alas, all too often, it emerges only days later a limp and unrecognizable mess.

Same for green onions. The other half loves them, but they commonly meet the same headed-to-the-compost-bin fate.

But those days are over. (Does this sound like an infomercial yet? Don't worry-I'm not prepping to sell you my new storage bags or anything.)

Aluminum foil. Yes, I said aluminum foil. It's as simple as that.

Wrap celery and/or green onions in a piece of foil and they stay crisp and at-the-ready for a week or more.

A simple idea that makes life easier. I. Love. It.

No comments: