Sunday, October 11, 2009

Leftovers for Breakfast

Heard the saying "Necessity is the mother of invention." I have a new one..."Leftovers are the mother of invention." Last weekend, after hot tea and the paper, I wanted something more for breakfast than the usual bowl of cereal or poached egg. So I poked around in the fridge and rustled up the ingredients for an impromptu plate of scrambled eggs supreme.

Here were the ingredients:
  • A half cup or so of leftover Stouffer's spinach souffle.
  • A couple of slices of tomato.
  • A quarter of a red onion.
  • Two or three tablespoonsful of Hollandaise sauce from broccoli a couple of nights previous.

So I put an English muffin in to toast and pulled out the non-stick sauté plan. Drizzle of olive oil. Diced the onion finely and cooked for a few minutes. Chopped the tomato and threw it in. Finished up with the spinach and stirred it in. Poured three beaten eggs on top and scrambled away. When they were done to my liking I threw them on the English muffin then spooned on the Hollandaise.

Yum. Yum.

Now I don't expect you to have the same ingredients in your refrigerator. (Frankly, I'd be a little creeped out if you did.) But hopefully your own leftovers can inspire you to similarly inventive heights.

No comments: