Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Vegetable-Quinoa Soup

So far, so good. I'm on track to lose the %$ pounds I want to lose this year. (You didn't think I'd actually tell you the number, didja?) This VERY healthy recipe will remain in the repertoire for times in the months ahead when I need a flavorful, hearty and slimming meal. It's delicious...no sacrifice involved. (Even my office colleagues were impressed by the wonderful smells coming from the microwave as I reheated a big bowl the other day.)

(Note: I am posting the recipe as I found it, but it's just crying out for an improvisational riff. Use whatever veggies you particularly like...or just have on hand. I used yellow bell pepper and purple onion, and a pinch of crushed red pepper, garlic pepper and oregano...even dumped a cup or so of leftover sauteed mushrooms in at the end and it added a lot.)

Vegetable-Quinoa Soup
Makes 4 servings.

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 large onions, chopped
4 ounces carrots, diced
2 ounces celery, diced
2 ounces green bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 quart vegetable broth or water (Oh, and I added a generous splash of spicy V-8 as well.)
2 bay leaves
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
handful of fresh flat leaf parsley

Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat until hot. Add the garlic, onions, carrots, celery, green bell pepper and quinoa. Sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the broth or water and bay leaves and bring to a boil.

Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for about 25-30 minutes, or until the quinoa is soft.

Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Sprinkle over with parsley just before serving.

No comments: