Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Butterscotch Bars

I am usually not a proponent of coconut. (I say usually because I will eat coconut cream pie like nobody's business) Not sure whether it's a texture or taste thing. But I digress.

I live in Ward and June Cleaver territory. Where the neighbors look out for each other, park in each other's driveways when we're out of town. It's bliss. Even better, our wonderful neighbor next door (the one who puts our newspaper on the porch every morning as she walks to the early Mass down the street) returns our Tupperware containers full of some wonderful goodie. This was the last installment.

And another reason for me to overcome my coconut aversion.

Butterscotch Bars
Makes 3 dozen.

1/2 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts

In a saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Remove from heat and stir in the brown sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla.

Sift the dry ingredients together; add with coconut and nuts to brown sugar mixture. Mix thoroughly.

Spread in greased 9 x 13 pan. Bake in a preheated 350° oven about 25 minutes.

Cut into bars while still warm. Remove from pan when almost cool.

No comments: