Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Homemade Chai Tea

I don't drink coffee, but Starbucks still gets a lot of my money thanks to my fondness (I refuse to call it an addiction) for Chai tea lattes. So I was quite pleased to find this recipe recently. I'll probably continue to tinker with the spice/sweet ratio, but it makes a nice substitute for the $4 version at my friendly neighborhood barista.

Chai Tea
Makes 4 cups.

8 cardamom seeds
8 cloves
6 black peppercorns
2 cinnamon sticks
1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, sliced
2 cups milk
2 cups water
4 tea bags (black tea preferred)
4 tablespoons sugar (or to taste)

Grind the cardamom, cloves and peppercorns with a mortar and pestle. (Or put in a heavy-duty plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin.)

Places the spices in a saucepan, along with the cinnamon sticks, ginger, milk and water. Bring to a boil, then remove from the heat and add the tea bags and sugar. Cover and let steep for 12 minutes.

Strain into cups for serving.

Make a big batch and store in the fridge for up to two days. Reheat in a saucepan or the microwave (although it's pretty good chilled also).

Strain into cups

No comments: