Thursday, February 04, 2010

"Dump Soup": Southwestern Chicken Noodle Soup

On a recent cold Saturday afternoon, I set about reorganizing the pantry. Grouping things by category and putting them close to each other. Invariably, I would end up with one can of this and one can of that that just wouldn't fit in the one row I had allotted to them. So those orphans got put on the kitchen counter. By the time I finished, I ended up with the ingredients for a pretty yummy soup.

Now, mind you, this is not meant to be a recipe, but an inspiration. I'll list the ingredients I used, but you should feel free to do your own thing.

Southwestern Chicken Noodle Soup
Makes 12 servings.

12 cups chicken stock
1 skinless, boneless chicken breast
1 can Ranch-style beans
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can diced green chiles
1 can whole kernel corn (or 1 bag frozen corn)
1 small can tomato paste
1 bag egg noodles (OK, OK, I only had 1/2 bag. Worked just fine.)
Seasonings: garlic pepper, crushed red pepper, salt, cumin, chile powder

Place chicken stock in large stock pot and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Put chicken breast in and poach for 20 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside to cool.

"Dump" beans, tomatoes, chiles, corn and tomato paste into stock pot. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add seasonings to taste.

Shred chicken breast and return to soup.

Add egg noodles and simmer until cooked, about 15 minutes.

No comments: