Friday, October 09, 2009

Linguine with Mussels and Fresh Herbs

I've talked about the method to my mussel madness before. My theme and variations. I still look for great ideas from other sources though. Gourmet magazine provided me this one. I don't usually sully my mussels with pasta, but the unexpected combination of fennel seed, red pepper (I'd actually add more next time), herbs (make sure and include dill for an interesting twist), and Parmesan (although, frankly, I think the dish would succeed without it) is quite tasty. Try it for yourself...

Linguine with Mussels and Fresh Herbs
From Gourmet magazine.
Serves 6. (It's easy to make for two. Make a full complement of sauce and use smaller amounts of pasta and mussels.)

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (I only used a couple of tablespoons.)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 large garlic cloves, sliced
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
1 cup dry white wine (The Spanish sparkling wine I had open worked just fine in a pinch.)
2 pounds cultivated mussels, scrubbed
1 pound thin linguine
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1 1/2 cups chopped herbs such as basil, dill, flat-leaf parsley, and oregano

Heat oil and butter in a 5-to 6-quart heavy pot over medium heat until foam subsides. Cook garlic, fennel seeds, and red pepper flakes with 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper, stirring, until garlic is softened, 3 to 4 minutes.

Add wine and boil until reduced by half, 4 to 5 minutes.

Add mussels and cook, covered, shaking pot occasionally, just until mussels open wide, 5 to 8 minutes. (Discard any that remain unopened after 8 minutes.) Remove from heat and keep warm.

Meanwhile, cook linguine in a pasta pot of well-salted boiling water until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water, then drain linguine.

Toss linguine with mussels and any liquid from pot, cheese, and herbs. Thin with reserved cooking water if desired.

No comments: