Monday, March 23, 2009

Sushi Etiquette

I've been eating lots of sushi these days. It's perfect as I work to lose some of this extra weight. Of course, I have to stay away from the decadently fried rolls that we Americans call sushi. And, more often than not, I'm ordering sashimi (sans rice) since I'm avoiding the dreaded "bad carbs."

So I was interested to read some tips on sushi etiquette in a recent issue of Bon Appetit magazine. I learned a few things...and it's been great conversation fodder with me and my sushi-eating companions.

  • When you can, sit at the sushi bar. Get to know the sushi and become a "regular." You'll be most likely to get the best and freshest fish. And perhaps an extra treat or two along the way.
  • It's OK to use your fingers for sushi or rolls. The loosely packed rice is likely to fall apart when you use chopsticks anyway. Just make sure you DO use chopsticks for sashimi.
  • Don't overdo it on the soy sauce or wasabi. After all, the purpose is tasting the freshness of the fish. Nigiri sushi (with rice) has a dab of wasabi under the fish anyway.
  • When you dip the sushi in the soy sauce, dip it in fish side first; the rice will soak up more soy sauce than you need. And place it in your mouth so the fish is the first thing to touch your tongue. Again, THAT's what you're there to taste.

Enjoy!

No comments: