Thursday, March 05, 2009

Cocktail of the Week: Caipiroska

A couple of nights ago, I hung out with a friend at Alo, a hip offshoot of La Duni here in Big D. I had a wonderful frozen concoction of lime juice, pisco and Pama (pomegranate liqueur) and it got me thinking about (and craving) those wonderful summer cocktails like the mojito and the caiparinha.

Well, the next day, I found myself in a conversation with a friend of mine who is gifted and talented in all things Latin American. I asked him about the difference between pisco and cachaça. (Yeah...our conversations are always that deep and philosophical.) Well, he set me straight, and after explaining the differences (countries and distillation sources), mentioned that he thought both tasted like (unmentionable). As an alternative he prefers, he offered the caipiroska (caipirinha made with vodka). So I tried it last night....

It was quite tasty. Smooth...almost like a vodka gimlet. (Not surprising since the ingredients are quite similar.) Here's the recipe I used. (Note: I like my caipirinhas/caipiroskas sweeter and limier than traditional recipes.) I have to admit though...I also still like the almost medicinal "bite" that cachaça can provide. Try both variations and see what YOU think.

Caipiroska
Makes one cocktail.

Muddle one lime cut into eight pieces with one tablespoon superfine sugar in an 8 ounce glass. Add the juice from one half lime. Fill glass with crushed ice and then top things off with vodka (use cachaça for the traditional caipirinha). Stir and drink up. Salud!

No comments: