Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Spelt Salad with White Beans and Artichokes

I've been trying to eat "healthy" carbs this year, so thought I'd try this recipe that I found in January's Cooking Light. It calls for spelt (aka farro) a nutty grain with lots of protein. It's NOT wheat, so is an alternative for folks with allergies. I have to admit that I didn't think this was going to work after I cooked the spelt and tasted it. Pretty grainy. Wasn't sure it would be my cup of tea.

After I added the herbs and other ingredients though, I was hooked. The nuttiness was tempered by the milder beans and the tangy artichokes. Add the bite of lemon juice and bright herbs, and you have a wonderfully healthy salad or side dish. It could be a main course salad with the addition of chicken or some good-quality canned tuna if you'd like.

Spelt Salad with White Beans and Artichokes
From Cooking Light.
Makes about five cups.

1 1/4 cups uncooked spelt (farro), rinsed and drained
2 1/2 cups water
1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup minced red onion
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (15-ounce) can navy beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped

Combine spelt and 2 1/2 cups water in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until tender and liquid is absorbed. (Mine took longer, so be prepared and watch it.)

Combine cooked spelt, mint, and the remaining ingredients in a large bowl, stirring well. Cover and store in the refrigerator.

No comments: