Monday, January 22, 2007

Turn Your Bathroom Into a Spa

OK...enough with food already. The detox plan has me so thinking about food and health that I'm stressed out. I know, counterintuitive, isn't it?

So I'm retreating to my bathroom "spa" this evening. I'd love to be able to whisk myself away to some exotic locale where I could be pampered with spa food and various mud treatments. Until I win the lottery though, that's not an option. So, I'm taking the simpler route and going to transform my bathroom into a stress-free heaven where I can let my worries steam themselves away. (Don't worry, no renovations needed.)

Here are some tips for you to do the same:
  • Get yourself some alone time. Let your family know that you are going into your private retreat and don't want to be disturbed. At all. Give yourself at least half an hour, but buy yourself as much time as you can.
  • Create silence. I know a lot of people like to listen to music to relax, but I like listening to the "silence." No music, just the sounds around you. The trickle and splash of water in the tub. And other sounds that you'll hear if you just listen. It's a great way to get into an almost-meditative zone. (And refer back to first tip above. Make sure the rest of your household knows you don't want to be listening to their stereos or TV's blaring either.)
  • Make yourself a warm cup of tea. Maybe something herbal with chamomile. Or pour yourself a glass of wine.
  • Set the atmosphere. I like to turn the lights out and light a few candles. Maybe aromatherapy candles. Changing the lighting from its traditional glare can help trick yourself into thinking you're somewhere more exotic. And the flicker and shadows of candlelight gives you something else to observe as you're relaxing.
  • Get your fluffiest, biggest towel and throw it in the dryer for a few minutes. It will still be warm when it's time to dry off.
  • Draw yourself a toasty warm bath. Not TOO warm...you don't want to boil yourself. And leave a trickle of warm water going. It's a relaxing sound and will keep your tub at just the right temperature.
  • Make it bubbly. I'm a sucker for bubble baths. (Stop giggling.) I love the smell and the "texture" it gives the water. There are lots of products out there--most of them reasonably priced. I love Bath and Body Works products.
  • Make your own aromatherapy bath. If you grow your own herbs, pick stems of your favorites like rosemary and lavender. Or spearmint or peppermint. Wrap them in cheesecloth and tie them to the tub faucet so the water splashes through them as the water fills the tub.
  • Add other special ingredients if you'd like. Oatmeal soothes the skin and can reduce itching. Epsom salts can help relieve muscle pain. Even a splash of vanilla extract--it's wonderfully relaxing.
  • As your bath fills, begin the relaxation process. Lay on your bathroom floor and stretch lightly. Then, starting at the tips of your toes, relax each part of your body all the way to the top of your head. Concentrate on your breathing and feel the tension slip away.
  • Your bath should be ready now, so climb in. Luxuriate in the smells, sounds and sensations around you. Sip your wine and let your mind wander. If a stressful thought creeps in, banish it immediately. It's a great time to practice the "Power of Now" philosophy and concentrate on what your senses are taking in.
  • Take your time. Don't rush. Hang out until you've washed the stresses of the day and week away.

Feel better? And it didn't cost you hardly anything. Bet you'll make another "appointment" next week.

1 comment:

dardia said...

This was a beautiful post! I too have turned my bathroom into a spa. Thanks for the inspiration!

Diane