Monday, January 08, 2007

A Vegetarian Main Dish: Braised Cauliflower in Tomato

We started our detox diet today. Nothing but fruits and vegetables this week. A little hungry this afternoon, but lots of snacks are keeping my metabolism going!

I don't suffer through this first week with bland steamed vegetables though. I look for ways to add the spice, richness and complexity I can. I'm already craving things I can't have. No need to deprive myself of flavor too!

Here was my main course for dinner tonight. The cauliflower is substantial enough that you feel like you're enjoying pasta with tomato sauce. I added some cabbage that I sauteed until caramelized in a little olive oil. Quite delicious.

Braised Cauliflower with Garlic and Tomatoes
Adapted from Perfect Vegetables

Serves 4.

1 medium head cauliflower, trimmed and separated into about 1 inch florets
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
2 teaspoons herbes de Provence
Salt and pepper

In a covered saucepan with a steamer insert, steam the cauliflower florets over boiling water for about seven minutes or until tender, but still firm. Uncover and remove from heat.

In a saute pan, heat two tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the cauliflower and cook, stirring occasionally, for six to seven minutes until it begins to brown. Add garlic to portion of bottom of pan and cook for one minute until garlic softens. Stir into cauliflower. Add red pepper flakes, tomatoes and herbs and stir to combine. Continue to cook for another five minutes or so until cauliflower is tender. (Cook longer if you prefer softer cauliflower.) Season to taste with salt and pepper.


No comments: