Monday, August 18, 2014

Parmesan Cream Sauce

Yes, I like to make things from scratch.  But there's no need to make EVERYTHING yourself.  I have made ravioli before, but don't shy away from buying high-quality filled pasta from a pasta purveyor or even a warehouse store.

I draw the line with the sauce though. I am scared of the tubs of Alfredo and other sauces you can buy at the grocery store.  Too many preservatives, gums and -ates for my liking.  Plus, when a sauce can be easily and quickly made with ingredients you're likely to have in the pantry, why bother?

Here's a rich creamy, cheesy sauce I concocted for some spinach ravioli we had last weekend.  It would be wonderful as a mac and cheese base too, I am betting.

Parmesan Cream Cheese
Makes about 2 cups.

1/4 cup butter
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon garlic pepper (or freshly ground black pepper to taste)
Kosher salt to taste (You might not need any thanks to the saltiness of the Parmesan.)

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour; cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, and cook, whisking constantly, 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper

No comments: