Monday, October 08, 2012

Back in the Saddle: Garlic Confit

Did you miss me?  Sorry to have been so scarce around here. Still cooking and cocktailing and enjoying the beautiful life.  Just so busy doing it that I haven't had time to come on and blog about it. I'll try to do better in the weeks to come.  And already have preloaded some great Thanksgiving posts that you won't want to miss.

Part of what has taken my time lately is the new (again) health kick I am on.  Eating well (and less) and exercising more.  Down 10 pounds in a month.  Hopefully I will keep with the trend...and I will definitely share some of the recipes and tips I'm learning.

This post shows you a good way to add a kick of flavor to the things you cook every night.  I found myself with a surplus of garlic the other day and decided to try this one.  It's easy and delicious.  Use a spoonful of the flavor boost in pasta after you've drained it, veggies after you've steamed them, or even as a sandwich spread. It makes mashed potatoes garlicky and, of course, is perfect for garlic bread.  Refrigerated, it will keep for up to 4 months.

Garlic Confit
From Food & Wine Magazine.
Makes 3 cups.

6 heads of garlic, cloves peeled (2 cups)
6 thyme sprigs
3 small bay leaves
3 dried red chiles, such as chiles de arbol
2 cups pure olive oil

Combine all of the ingredients in a medium saucepan and simmer over low heat until the garlic is tender but not browned, about 30 minutes. Let cool.

Using a slotted spoon, transfer the garlic, herbs and chiles to three 1/2-pint canning jars. Pour the cooking oil on top, seal and refrigerate for up to 4 months.

No comments: