Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Tuesday Tip-Day

Here are some more time-saving, life-uncomplicating tips I have run across.  Some I've tried; others are on the list.

  • This one is tried and true for me.  Buy your nuts in large quantities, whether on sale at the holidays or in bulk, and store them in the freezer.  You'll always have the pecans, pine nuts, or walnuts you need for a recipe.  Even better, since they are on hand, you'll be inspired to toast with spices as a cocktail snack, throw on top of a salad, or crust chicken or fish.
  • I've discovered this doesn't always work...but light a candle nearby before you chop onions.  The flames help to neutralize the sulfuric fumes.
  • Another prep and freeze idea: grate a large gingerroot and divide it into tablespoon measurements.  Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze.  When frozen, transfer to a Ziploc bag for storage.  Add the ginger to soups or thaw and use in stir-fries or cocktails.
  • I use a lot of bell pepper...especially red ones.  How happy was I to realize that they are much easier to julienne from the tender inside rather than the peel-covered outside.
  • I use a potato ricer for perfect mashed potatoes.  How about using it for guacamole too?  Place large chunks of avocado and press into the bowl.  Scrape the outside of the ricer and stir in your other ingredients.

No comments: