Wednesday, May 02, 2012

A Blood Orange Duo

I am an impulse shopper at the grocery store.  Luckily, I'm not tempted by candy bars or trash magazine at the checkout.  No, I get drawn in my a great piece of fish or some beautiful produce.  So it wasn't necessarily a surprise when I ended up with several gorgeous blood oranges in my shopping bag.  A couple of days later, I had to figure out what to do with them.  I ended up with these two concoctions: a vinaigrette that is delicious over butterlettuce and avocado and a cocktail that is bright and refreshing.
Blood Orange Vinaigrette

Stir together 2 tablespoons of blood orange juice, 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar and a pinch each of garlic pepper and salt.  While whisking, stir in 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil in a steadt stream until emulsified.

Blood Orange Cocktail

In an ice-filled cocktail shaker combine 1 teaspoon grated ginger, 1 1/2 ounces vodka, 1/2 ounce Grand Marnier (or other orange liqueur) and 1 ounce blood orange juice.  Shake vigorously and strain into a cocktail glass.  Garnish with a slice of blood orange.

No comments: