Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Not Your Mama's TV Dinner: Salisbury Steak from Scratch

As I drove home the other night, I called to see what the other half wanted me to pick him up for dinner.  Instead of fast food, he asked me to go by the grocery store and buy him a TV dinner.  Specifially he requested salisbury steak.  I was appalled but agreed.  I was even more appalled when I discovered the price of this frozen delicacy.  One dollar.

One dollar.

A couple of weeks later, I decided that I would fix salisbury steak from scratch.  Yes, it would be a bit more expensive, but it would also be a heck of a lot better...and free of all the chemicals in that over-processed boxed stuff. 

I was right.  Fix it yourself and see if you don't agree.

Salisbury Steak
Makes four servings.

1/3 cup grated onion, divided (I pureed half an onion in the food processor.  Include the juice.)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound ground sirloin
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
1/3 cup dry red wine
1 cup beef broth
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

Combine 1/4 cup onion, Worcestershire, pepper, salt, garlic, and beef. Shape into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) patties. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove and set aside.

Melt butter in pan. Add mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes. Stir in wine and remaining onion; cook 2 minutes. Combine broth and flour; add to pan, and bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes or until thick. Add patties and vinegar to pan; cook 2 minutes.

No comments: