Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Lemon Chess Pie

We went to Luby's this weekend for lunch. (I know...not exactly healthy.) But when I got in line, I was a man on a mission. Past the congealed salad, past the fried fish and beyond the macaroni lay the dessert display. And I just KNEW there was a piece of chess pie with my name on it.

But guess what? No chess pie. No problem. I came home, searched through my trusty recipe files and found this one ripped from the pages of Southern Living. It hit the spot.

As a matter of fact, excuse me...I think there's a leftover piece in the kitchen.

Lemon Chess Pie
Makes 8-10 servings.

1 pie crust from a box of refrigerated pie crusts
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon cornmeal
1/4 teaspoon salt

Fit pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate according to package directions; fold edges under and crimp. Line pastry with aluminum foil, and fill with pie weights or dried beans.

Bake at 425° for 5 minutes. Remove weights and foil. Bake 2 more minutes or until light golden brown. Cool crust completely on a wire rack.

Meanwhile, whisk remaining ingredients in a bowl. Pour filling into pie crust.

Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until pie is firm. (Be careful not to let overbrown; shield edges if necessary.) Cool completely on a wire rack.

2 comments:

diarynigracia said...

and i do agree with you... that LIFE SHOULD BE BEAUTIFUL..

Anonymous said...

I baked the filling in the small individual tart shells. Excellent
brunch addition.n