Monday, November 29, 2010

Waste Not, Want Not...Celery Salad

As I was slicing and dicing the celery for the other half's delicious cornbread dressing recipe last week I was left with those pale stalks in the center and the leaves. They looked so crisp and fresh, I hated to see them go to waste. I knew if I put them in the refrigerator, they'd end up in the compost pail next time I cleaned it out. So I put them to immediate use.

I cut them up into bite-size pieces and dressed them simply with a splash of red wine vinegar, a glug of olive oil and some salt and garlic pepper. It was a delicious, bright snack. I felt quite virtuous...both for being healthy and putting what could have been wasted to excellent use.

Do you have similar tips? I'd love to hear them in the Comments below...

No comments: