Sunday, January 24, 2010

Best Technique: Steamed Rice

I love/adore/covet/crave white rice. With a pat of butter and generously seasoned with salt and pepper, it's one of my favorite comfort foods.

However, I seem to have lost my knack for cooking it. After years of making my Uncle Ben's with no problem, recent batches have turned out gummy or undercooked. Good thing Martha saved the day before I lowered myself to buying one of those rice cooker contraptions. (After all, what kind of cook can you claim to be if you cannot make good rice in a saucepan?)

Turns out I was following the wrong directions. Here, straight from the pages of Martha Stewart Living is my new rice-cooking technique.

1) Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in 1 cup long-grain white rice and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Return to a boil over medium-high heat.

2) Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until rice is tender and has absorbed all the water, 16 to 18 minutes (check only toward the end of cooking time). The rice will be studded with steam holes when ready.

Remove from heat, and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork before eating.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read something recently, and it seems to work, that if you put a paper towel just under the lid, that it will soak up the excess moisture (you know, the water on the underside of the lid).