Thursday, July 30, 2009

What's That Wonderful Smell?

I know I talk a lot about food (and cocktails) on here. But that's just because those are the easiest things to talk about and replicate. There is much more to the full Life Should Be Beautiful philosophy. We have to surround ourselves with things that stimulate all the senses. Not just taste, but touch, sight, sound and smell.

I was reminded of this the other night when I stepped out onto our back deck. It was a pretty muggy evening, but a little bit of a breeze helped. It ruffled the leaves in the trees just enough to help drown out the nearby freeway. I sat down to pet the dogs and a wonderful odor wafted past. I looked up to realize that our night jasmine bush had bloomed. It's a non-descript enough plant...nothing much to look at. But several times a summer, it blooms in hundreds of little spikes that open only at night. The resultant odor is heady and tropical. The perfect things for a relaxing evening under the stars.

It just reminded me of other ways I make sure smell is a part of our home life. Sure, the kitchen is often sending our great aromas, but what else? Here are a few:
  • Fill a mister bottle with distilled water and add a few drops of essential oils...lavender and vanilla maybe. Spray your sheets and pillowcases right before bed.
  • Candles are always a great choice. Find good-quality ones. I prefer spicy smells...clove, cinnamon, even a "synthetic" smell like leather.
  • Throw a couple orange or lime peels in a small saucepan filled with water and simmer gently.

Those are just a few. How do you fill your home with pleasant smells?

No comments: