Saturday, July 04, 2009

Best Grilled Cheese Ever: Grilled Gouda and Membrillo Sandwiches

Putting together my annual multi-course wine pairing dinner for my family is both art and science. Art in that I want it to be creative in a mind-blowing way. Science in that the progression from light to heavy creates some "rules" within which I work.

First course is almost always a sparkler. Second is a light white...like Sauvignon Blanc or Viognier. And 99% of the time the third course is a pairing with the king of the white grapes--Chardonnay.

I didn't have a great Chardonnay-pairing recipe in my files this time. So I depended on my good "friend" Andrea Immer Robinson and her A-List Wine Club. I found a Stuhlmuller Reserve Chardonnay in the cellar. her food pairing suggestion? This decadent delicious grilled cheese sandwich. It's like nothing you've ever had before, yet remarkably easy to make. Make yourself a batch and uncork a rich and honeyed Chard.

What better way to celebrate the Fourth of July than a kicked-up grilled cheese sandwich?!? So yummy that I came home and fixed one after work just the other night.

Grilled Gouda and Membrillo Sandwiches
Serves 6-8 as a first course or snack.

8 slices multi-grain sandwich bread (I used a "three-seed" bread from my local gourmet market.)
8 ounces aged Gouda cheese, very thinly sliced (Use the good stuff.)
8 ounces membrillo (quince paste), very thinly sliced (or substitute 6 tablespoons apricot jam)

Place four of the bread slices on a work surface and layer with slices of the membrillo to cover (or slather generously with apricot jam).

Distribute the slices of Gouda cheese evenly over the sandwiches and top with the remaining bread slices.

Toast the sandwiches in a heated panini press until the cheese begins to melt and the bread is lightly toasted and crunchy.

Cut the sandwiches into triangles or squares with a sharp knife. Serve hot.

No comments: