Monday, June 08, 2009

Cocktail of the Week: Smoky Mary

When I had the mega-smoker out for Memorial Day, I planned on doing some extra-special ingredients after the meat came off. I bought some poblano peppers, fresh corn and tomatoes. I was thinking a relish of some kind with the veggies. And this cocktail with the tomatoes.

Well...I never got around to putting those items on. (Grilling the corn and poblanos led to a great "salsa" for grilled chicken a couple of nights later.) But I still want to try this recipe sometime soon. It sounds wonderful.

Smoky Mary
Makes one cocktail.

3 ounces vodka
2 1/2 ounces smoked tomato juice (see below)
2 1/2 ounces tomato juice
1/2 ounce lemon juice
1/4 ounce Worcestershire sauce
Pepper/celery salt to taste
Dash of hot sauce

Shake all ingredients over cracked ice and strain into an ice-filled collins or cocktail glass.

Smoked Tomato Juice

Halve tomatoes and smoke over indirect heat on a charcoal grill using hickory or mesquite wood chips for 2o minutes. Remove and allow to cool. Transfer to a blender and process, then strain. Four medium tomatoes will yield about 2 cups of juice.

No comments: