Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Beet Gratin

We love beets here at our house. And I have found a wonderful farming family at our farmer's market that sells them by the bunch. My standard treatment is to roast them and then serve them with a little tangy goat cheese and some toasted pine nuts. So I was intrigued by this recipe. And it's pretty good. But, honestly, I think the blue cheese is a little overwhelming. If I make it again (and I just might), I'd probably go back to goat cheese instead of Roquefort.

But try it and let me know what you think in the comments section below.

Beet Gratin
Makes six servings.
From Cooking Light magazine.

2 pounds beets
2 tablespoons water
Cooking spray
1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled Roquefort cheese
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
1/2 cup half-and-half
1/2 cup Italian-seasoned panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)

Preheat oven to 375°.

Leave root and 1 inch stem on beets; scrub with a brush. Reserve beet greens. Wrap beets and 2 tablespoons water in foil. Bake at 375° for 1 hour or until tender. Trim off beet roots; rub off skins. Cut beets into 1/4-inch slices.

Cook reserved greens in boiling water 2 minutes; drain. Rinse with cold water; drain and pat dry. Coarsely chop, reserving 3/4 cup greens; reserve remaining greens for another use.

Arrange half of beets in a single layer in an 11 x 7–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with half the cheese, black pepper, salt, and sherry vinegar. Repeat procedure with remaining beets, cheese, black pepper, salt, and sherry vinegar. Spread greens evenly on top of beet mixture. Pour half-and-half evenly over greens; top evenly with panko. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until beets are tender.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this, I lent that issue of Cooking Light out and can't find the recipe on their website. I agree, the blue cheese makes it a bit too rich--I'm going to try again with a little less blue cheese.