Thursday, November 06, 2008

Spicy Pickled Carrots

My family and I were reminiscing the other day about my Tex-Mex childhood. Back then in the 70's, El Chico was about the only option here in North Texas. But I still have several indelible memories: super nachos topped with sour cream and guacamole (ubiqutious now, but incredibly inventive then), thick rich bean soup spiked with bacon and epazote, and of course having my placemat signed by the Dallas Cowboys players and coaches who regularly stopped by. (My Tom Landry and Dan Reeves autographs are still, no doubt, somewhere in my archives.) Another memory is the spicy pickled relish that was on the table with the chips and salsa. Not just jalapeno slices, but also onions, carrots and even cauliflower.

So when I ran across this recipe in Martha Stewart's Everyday Food, I was intrigued. And upon preparation, I was blasted back thrity years. These are wonderfully tangy and spicy. Certainly perfect next to enchiladas or tacos. But also a great accompaniment for burgers, grilled chicken or even fried catfish. Versatile and simple, they're worth a try.

Spicy Pickled Carrots
From Martha Stewart's Everyday Food.

2 carrots, thinly sliced on the diagonal
3 jalapeno chiles, ribs and seeds removed
1 small yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 cup white-wine vinegar
1 packed tablespoon fresh oregano, or 3/4 teaspoon dried
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns

In a medium saucepan, combine all the ingredients with 1 cup water. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, and cook until onion is crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, and refrigerate until cold, about 3 hours. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

No comments: