Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Vignette: Wine Country Soda

I finally cleaned out our pantry last weekend. It's been gnawing at me for weeks--overflowing with boxes and jars and half-eaten bags of chips, it was a disaster waiting to happen. (The good news is that there were no chemistry projects lurking in the corners.) And I found some treasures in there as well. The jar of prepared lime curd will be a perfect summer dessert tonight when spread into a graham cracker crust and topped with freshly whipped cream.


I also found the two bottles of Vignette Wine Country Soda I bought last fall when they were first released and abuzz in the foodie/wino world. Thought popping open the Pinot Noir version would be a refreshing reward after my pantry-cleaning duties. Boy, was I underwhelmed.


Billed on the label as "part wine country magic, part soda pop pleasure," the drink is refreshingly natural--containing only carbonated water and Pinot Noir grape juice concentrate. However, it didn't taste to me like much more than grape juice and club soda. I still have the Chardonnay version to try. Perhaps it will help redeem the brand and live up to some of the positive reviews I have seen online.


Have you tried it? What do you think? Post your comments below.

No comments: