Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Deviled Ham and Pecan Salad

I don't think I've ever had "ham salad" in my life. It reminds me too much of potted meat and other non-edible canned meat products, I think.


Don't know why this recipe jumped out at me then. Maybe it was the addition of pecans. Not sure, but I thought I'd give it a whir. It's delicious! And elegant enough that you could make tea sandwiches and serve at your next party.


Deviled Ham and Pecan Salad
From Gourmet magazine.
Makes about three cups (enough for 32 tea sandwiches).


1/2 pound cooked ham, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 medium onion, quartered
3 large sweet gherkins
1/2 cup pecans, toasted and cooled
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1/4 cup mayonnaise
16 slices firm white sandwich bread
Garnish: chopped parsley and pecans

Pulse all ingredients except bread in a food processor until finely chopped and combined well.
Spread ham mixture (1/4 cup per sandwich) between slices of bread. Discard crusts, then cut sandwiches into triangles.

No comments: