Thursday, December 27, 2007

New Year's Toasts: Bargain Sparklers

Nothing against the French, but I am boycotting Champagne this year. Not because it's not delicious, but because a good one is so dang expensive. So I've concentrated on sparkling wines from other countries, including right here in the U S of A. I started making my shopping list a couple weeks ago. Interestingly enough, several of my choices were endorsed by The Dallas Morning News and their wine panel this week. Here's MY list. Hope it helps as you make your purchases for New Year's Eve.

Segura Viudas Brut Reserva Heredad Cava
So my secret appears to not be so secret anymore. I've blogged about this wonderful wine from Spain several times. And it's been a go-to-gift for me many times...delicious and the bottle with its pewter embellishments is always impressive. As for the wine itself, it's fruity and just delicate enough without being sweet. Clean and food-friendly with its creamy toastiness, it retails for just under $20. This was DMN's top pick.

Segura Viudas Brut Rosé
I love Segura Viudas' brut so much that I'm trying their rosé this year. Tasting notes I've seen say that it's "zingy" with strawberries on the palate. Bet it will be yummy with the cheese we'll nibble on before our New Year's Eve dinner.

Gloria Ferrer Sonoma Brut
Widely available for $15-20, this is a reliable sparkler with nice fruit and acidity on the palate.

Lucien Albrecht Cremant d'Alsace Blanc de Blancs
This French sparkler isn't a true Champagne, but a nice substitute. It retails for around $20 and I always associate the "Cremant" in its name with the creaminess I get when I drink it. It has one of the biggest "mouthfeels" for any of the wines on this list.

And if you need a sparkling wine in volume for your party, you can't go wrong with two other Spanish cavas, the Segura Viudas Aria or the Freixenet Cordon Negro. Both are steals at around $10 and will satisfy even the discerning palates on your guest list.

Cheers!

No comments: